Thursday 17 March 2011

7 Crucial Things To Keep You Thinkin' Young At 77

By Bob Rumball





I've always been an active sort of person, always vitally interested in technology and any new gizmos, and when retirement at 65 years of age came along, I already knew just what I was going to do, and I did it. But that's another story.

Of course, your physical condition will influence just what you can, or can not, do. But whatever that condition is, let the Doctors worry about that. You can still keep the brain thinking like a 37 year old.
I started retirement 12 years ago with type 2 Diabetes, high cholesterol, enlarged prostate, and 1 bad knee, swallowing 7 or so pills every day.

Now I've got 2 bad knees, diabetic neuropathy, prostate cancer (no big deal), and I'm swallowing 17 pills every day. BUT I still enjoy life, an occasional rum, a good or bad joke, an attractive girl or woman, any music, with tastes from Country to Light Classical, and I've got 5 websites on the go. Oh...Yeah! I had to study some new stuff for them.

These boring details I pass on you you, not for sympathy, but to show that you must not let health concerns take over your mind.

So here's my 7 pointers for you:
  1. Look for something new to study: This can be anything from an exotic religion to website design, just as long as it's different to anything that you've ever done in your working life. Don't stop with just one Study either, try a few. My one suggestion here is Online 'Texas Hold'em Poker', I love it, and so does my wife of 57 years.
  2. Keep up with Technology: Do you want to be embarrassed in front of friends or family when your new Mobile Phone rings and you don't know how to answer it? Or your 5 year old Grandson has to show you how to work your Laptop. You really SHOULD read the manuals BEFORE you get into trouble!
  3. Take up, or expand an existing hobby: With more time on your hands now, you should be able to do a fantastic job of cataloguing your collection of New Guinea Shrunken Heads, or Civil War Relics. If you don't have a hobby, well, take your time, and pick something that really turns you on.
  4. Get a dog: Oh..Yeah! An absolute must if you do not already have one. This will make sure that you go for a walk at least twice a day, have someone to talk to, teach things to, and be a real Mate, (in the Aussie sense of the word).
  5. Don't lose your sense of humour: I assume that you've still got one. By the time you've travelled 77 years, there would have been a lot of strain on it, and it might need careful nurturing to revive it, but that's what you must do. Remember this; when you've reached these venerable years, you can get away with anything outrageous that you might utter, so work on it, and build up a repertoire of scandalous and shocking 'One-Liners'
  6. Spend time sitting on an exercise ball: If you've ever sat on one you'll know that your leg muscles are working all the time, responding to your brain as it keeps adjusting your balance. I often use mine as an office chair when working on my computer and my knees are not quite so bad now, and my sense of balance has improved too.
  7. Take over the role of Cook: Well, I tried that and got fired, so now I vacuum and steam mop the floors. This will certainly endear you to your better half, who will now have to put up with you for many more hours than before.


The old saying that 'Life begins at 40' doesn't hold anymore, because 70 is the new 40.

After a lifetime of Business in a few different industries, Bob retired, sold up everything, got a 28 foot caravan, 4WD, Minelab Metal Detector, and headed for the Australian Goldfields in 5 states.

After 7 or 8 years of fairly successful Gold Prospecting, he returned to Queensland, and now spends most of his time writing. Australian Outack photo-cards, e-books, bush poetry, and gold maps are available at http://www.aussie-outback-e-books.com/. He is presently developing a new website at http://www.earning-money-at-home.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment