Thursday 17 March 2011

Make Life Sense-ational




Today I asked myself the following question. When was the last time you paid attention to your five senses? And I have decided to use the day to take notice of how often I:

Look without seeing; Hear without listening; Touch without feeling; Eat without tasting; Breathe without smelling.

Most of the time our senses are asleep. We turn them off so that they don't interfere with what we are doing. So today I am going to turn my senses back on.

On my walk today I am going to really notice things. How lovely is that garden; how pretty the little girl walking alongside her mother; how good that shop window looks.

And after my walk I am going to visualize as many of the things I saw.

And on my walk I am really going to listen to the sounds around me. How noisy is that car; how plaintiff that baby's cry. I am also going to put on a CD and listen to the background music rather than just listening to the singer. If I close my eyes will it be clearer?

And there are many things that I touch during my day. Today I will make a point of being aware of them. The touch of the computer keyboard, my small dog's silky fur, my grandson's hand in mine; my wet hair after it has been washed.

We do eat without tasting so today I am going to savor the tastes of the food I put into my mouth. The fruit with my Muesli had a different taste to the fruit on its own; the sandwich that I shall make for lunch tasting the various ingredients individually and as they combine and then dinner. I will also be aware of the taste of the tea and coffee that I will consume.

A good exercise is to fill a glass with water then keep sipping until you can describe its taste. Not as easy as it sounds, but it will make you aware of how often we drink without tasting.

And smells. The house is full of smells and today I am noticing them all. The cupboard where the spices are kept is a veritable cornucopia of smells. The fresh flowers in the vase and of course in the garden assail the senses. Exhaust from a dirty truck is not so pleasant. Smells of bread baking waft out from the local bakery and the smell of coffee is too tempting to ignore. Even different types of fruit have quite different smells. Close your eyes and smell a sliced apple and then a sliced pear.

And then just enjoy. Be aware of the wind in your hair. How does it feel? Gently massage your temples for a few minutes. Is there one area that provides the best relaxation? Put the hairdryer on cool or warm and play it onto your hand, arm or legs. Can you describe how that feels.

So what's the point of all this? You may not like all the sensations but if you continue to be aware of your senses, even for brief periods of time, you will discover many pleasant sensations.

Judith Baxter is a certified life coach, mentor, author and facilitator. Having watched her mother's deterioration (from afar) she determined that she would not follow in her mother's footsteps.

Since her mother's death (and that of her husband shortly after) she has dedicated her life and time to helping others cope with trauma, sudden death, changes of all sorts and importantly, how to grow younger each day.

Contact her on jbaxter@clear.net.nz


No comments:

Post a Comment